I've been on the West Coast for the past week or so now, here are some highlights:1. The Inhabitat holiday party, big ups to everyone who showed up.
2. Hanging out with Dave Winer - I've been blogging for what feels like an eternity now (five and a half years!), but oddly enough I'd never met Dave or even exchanged emails with him. We fixed that -- and chatted a bit about our MP3 player.
3. A 2 hour and 40 minute train ride to Merced that, thanks to Amtrak, descended into a Fellini-esque six and a half hour ordeal seated next to a really sketchy wannabe white gangsta dude with ADHD. Key moment was when he told me he's an illustrator. "So what do you draw?" I ask. "Drawings of the Grim Reaper smoking a cigarette," he responds, completely devoid of irony.
4. Watching the second season of Da Ali G Show with my dad.
5. Watching the first season of Extras by myself (no one else was interested). It wasn't bad, but it's just the same joke over and over again, innit?
6. Spending the better part of a day dealing with the inane bureaucracy that is AOL trying to resolve a minor issue that should have taken at most fifteen minutes. There are some amazing people there -- too bad they're surrounded by layer upon layer of idiots. 7. Steeling myself for CES + Macworld. I'll be back in SF for a couple of days next week before I head to Vegas, if you're fixing for a pre-CES meeting, drop me a line.